Sunday, February 26, 2012

                                                               Rosemary is for Remembrance

    I love greenhouses at any time of the year. Tasha's was especially lovely in the winter and on one visit I took my recorder into her green house and played to her plants while Tasha napped. When she awoke, she wondered where the music was coming? So Tasha followed the notes and found me in her greenhouse. The roses were in bloom, herbs scented the air, and the camelias also blossomed. She identified for me some of the plants that I didn't recognize and we inhaled the scent of earth and roses.
Tasha and Carol Lueck in the greenhouse
  Tasha decided to cut some camellias for bouquets and asked about what was blooming back in my small greenhouse attached to my home. When I asked her why my rosemary plant died, Tasha explained that rosemary doesn't like either wet or dry feet, but must be kept at the proper moisture level. Tasha had recently rooted cuttings from her bay tree and offered me one. I was delighted to accept the shoot from her frequently painted bay tree.
  Several days later, she wrapped the cutting and tucked it into a small bag that fit into my knitting basket. This was before the days of heightened security, so in addition to taking the cutting onto the air plane, Tasha packed me a small feast of cheese and crackers, and some of her famous stuffed eggs. My cutting arrived home in fine shape and over the years has grown into a sizable tree. Every spring, my husband totes it outside and throughout the year, those wonderful bay leaves season my cooking. Rosemary is for remembrance, but bay leaves are forever green and fragrant.

7 comments:

  1. How lovely it must have been to be able to spend time with Tasha in her greenhouse. I have always wanted to grow Rosemary, so now I know to keep the soil just right. I love reading about our dear Tasha, thank you for your stories!!
    ((Hugs))
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jan, I hope to write a story this week about planting potatoes in her garden

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always loved Tasha Tudor! I'm a new follower! Enjoyed your post.
    :) Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a green filled greenhouse! I know the plants were thrilled by your playing! How sweet of Tasha to fill your stomach along with your garden! What a delight these entries of yours have been to me!! Thanks so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recall reading that her bay tree was the only "male" plant/tree she had. She was very proud of him. Oh what I would do to have a snippet.

    Best always,
    Kama

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recall reading that her bay tree was the only "male" plant/tree she had. She was very proud of him. Oh what I would do to have a snippet.

    Best always,
    Kama

    ReplyDelete