Friday, February 14, 2020

Winter Bouquet


Sewing by Tasha's Fire
Winter Bouquet
            Most of my visits to Corgi Cottage occurred in the wintertime when snow smothered Tasha’s gardens. Sometimes I slipped down to her greenhouse to breathe the air rich with the scent of moist earth and her climbing rose, Cecile Brunner. The pale pink blossoms defied the snowdrifts mounded outside the glass panes. When the camellias bloomed, Tasha would cut several and float them in a pink luster bowl.
            One winter I spied a large bouquet of pussy willows sitting on her long table covered art supplies, her latest painting and other creative projects. A friend had dropped off the gift so Tasha could force the fuzzy blooms to crack their hard, brown shells. Now, the silvery catkins snuggled on the branches, hinting how spring was not too far off. The humble bouquet represented many elements of Tasha’s simple life…a love of nature and beauty, her pride of calling herself a housewife who created a welcoming home, where she celebrated the seasons.
            A few days ago, the snow crunched beneath my clogs as I walked on our farm, and I noticed how a few tiny gray pussy willow buds were poking their noses out. So, I cut off several branches, brought them into my warm house and set them in a mason jar filled with water. Slowly, the buds are sneaking out and will soon gleam in the afternoon sunlight, reminding me of Tasha and the advent of spring.

11 comments:

  1. Hi Joan, I loved this story and now I shall keep my eye sharp for pussy willows in this cold covered snow of W.N.Y. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a kind and beautiful memory. I haven't seen pussywillows for ages. I too will have to keep watch for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you and I am pleased you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful To stitch by Tasha's fire! Of course Tasha would have a winter bouquet. I also shall look for pussywillows!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always look forward to these stories!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing your stories of Tasha. Please keep them coming. It is hard winter here too, but with tiny peeps of spring. It warmed up and the sap ran, and we boiled down 1 gallon of maple syrup. I am getting ready to trace out and construct a bonnet, because I want to, as Tasha once said "bring back bonnets"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you everyone and I'll try and recall more stories

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like your blog and you shared the whole idea very well. And beautifully written, read by the soul! Thanks for sharing. Automatic Clicker

    មាន់ជល់តាមអនឡាញ

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am fascinated by Tasha Tudor, and just discovering her through Pinterest and your pins. That you and Tasha have a kindred spirit and have embraced a homesteading lifestyle is also very intriguing to me, we are also close in age, I was born at the end of '48, so we're about 2 years apart. .
    My question is: are you still blogging, are you still among us? Thank you for your posts here, you have given me a great insight into your and Tasha's life and mindset, and it is beautiful. Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello and thank you for your compliments and for contacting me. I ran out of ideas for the blog and most of my writing time is now focused on creating historical novels and personal essays. Having those quiet days with Tasha was a gift from God and I cherish how she mentored me and encouraged me to be a writer, which is why we worked together on The Real Pretend. Do you live on a homestead? My farm, animals and garden absorb a great deal of my time, too. Happy Thanksgiving! Joan

    ReplyDelete